Alcohol Detox in Alaska
When recovering from alcohol addiction, you should allow yourself sufficient time for detoxing. Most individuals who stop drinking alcohol experience a series of withdrawal symptoms. Often, the withdrawal symptoms make it difficult for recovering alcoholics to stick to a sobriety program. Many alcoholics attempt to overcome these symptoms without assistance, but this often leads to the patient relapsing and increased alcohol abuse.
Proudly serving residents in Alaska, including Anchorage and Juneau.
Free by the Sea, located in Ocean Park, WA, can assist you with detox placement if you or a loved one needs detoxification prior to entering our addiction treatment program. We have exceptional working relationships with outside detox facilities across Alaska and can help you find the right facility for detox.
What Can You Expect from an Alcohol Detox Program?
Successful recovery from an alcohol addiction requires help from licensed medical professionals. An alcohol detox program treats the severe symptoms associated with withdrawal, monitors and prevents any complications during the detox process, and starts initial therapy to avoid future relapses. During the detoxification process, sedatives can be prescribed to relieve withdrawal symptoms. Additional medication can be administered depending on the individual’s needs, such as anticonvulsants and blood pressure medication.
What Are the Symptoms of Alcohol Withdrawal?
The most common and earliest withdrawal symptoms include:
- Extreme sweating
- Mild fevers
- Increased anxiety
More severe symptoms include:
- Confusion and disorientation
- Racing or irregular heartbeat
- Mild seizures
- Severe anxiety
- Severe anxiety
- High blood pressure
After the first 12 to 24 hours, individuals can also experience:
- Grand mal seizures
- Hallucinations including visual, auditory, and tactile
- Suicidal thoughts
- Delirium Tremens (DTs), which is disorientation, hallucinations, and high fevers combined
- Alcohol Detox
What Issues Interfere with a Detox Program?
Not every individual will experience the same detox process, and there are a few things that can interfere with detoxification. The following are problems that can hinder successful detox:
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Nervous system deficiencies
- Liver disease
- Coronary artery disease
Before entering a detox program, a doctor will take a complete medical evaluation and discuss problems that might interfere with your success. After the issues are reviewed, a safe detox program can begin.
What Happens After Completing Detox?
After the detox process is complete, the individual undergoes therapy and counseling to address the underlying issues of their addiction. Coping methods and resources are taught during therapy to prevent relapse. Many recovering alcoholics participate in support groups and seek medical treatment after detoxification.
What Are the Signs of Relapse?
There are several warning signs that indicate relapse, such as:
- Frequent outbursts
- Increased agitation and anger
- Feeling overwhelmed by stress
- Negative outlook about group recovery process
- Impulsive behavior due to poor judgment
- Falling back into old habits
- Believing one drink won’t hurt
- Increased depression, hopelessness, or despair
If you or a loved one exhibit any of the above warning signs, seek help immediately. Relapsing is a slippery slope and recovering addicts can easily fall without assistance.
Free by the Sea is a beautiful campus, located on the Long Beach Peninsula in Ocean Park, WA. Our community of dedicated professionals are committed to provide care to all individuals with dignity and respect. Client centered care respectful of individual needs and concerns is the foundation of our approach. We adhere to evidence-based practices which are focused on successful outcomes for long term recovery. Services provided include:
- 77 treatment beds.
- Masters level addiction counselors.
- High quality evidence-based addiction treatment, including gambling.
- DBT, CBT, EMDR and trauma informed treatment addresses underlying issues of addiction that include depression, anxiety, self-esteem and relationships.
- Relapse Prevention, Life Skills, Addiction education provided in groups and individual sessions
- Twelve step meetings include celebrate recovery, wellbriety, dual disorder and AA/NA/GA
- We offer residential, partial hospitalization, and intensive outpatient levels of care.
- Peaceful and safe setting located on five acres facing the Pacific Ocean.
- Multi-sport areas that include volleyball/basketball courts and an exercise room.
- Nutritionally designed meals to restore health
Why Wait? Call Us Today.
Stop the destructive path that you or a loved one are on. Addiction to alcohol affects your life, your family, and your friends. Call Free by the Sea today and find the help you need to get your life back on track.
Contact Free by the Sea
We treat substance abuse for all ages, men and women alike, and are able to assist you with the recovery process. Free by the Sea has professionals who are compassionate, professional, and committed to each individual’s goals and needs. Contact us today and gain your freedom from addiction.