Depression Treatment in Alaska
Depression can impact individuals differently, especially when addiction is involved. Free by the Sea is a nationally recognized, comprehensive rehabilitation center in Ocean Park, WA dedicated to providing treatment for addiction and the underlying problems or disorders that drive the individual to dependency.
Proudly serving residents in Alaska, including Anchorage and Juneau.
What Is Depression?
Depression is a feeling of hopelessness compounded by sadness, fatigue, and loss of interest in normal activities. It is a serious mental disorder that can be either chronic or situational, depending on the individual. Signs of clinical depression include:
- Changes in diet
- Suicidal thoughts and impulses
- Feelings of worthlessness
- Lack of interest in things once enjoyed
- Sleeping too much or insomnia
- Extreme fatigue
- Feelings of hopelessness
How Is Depression and Alcohol Dependency Connected?
Depression and alcohol dependency are connected through behaviors that impact an individual’s life, such as:
- Inability to perform routine activities at school or work
- Blackouts resulting in the individual’s failure to recall what happened during a certain amount of time
- Alcohol consumption that causes problems personally, professionally, and socially
- Development of an alcohol tolerance, which forces the individual to increased consumption to achieve desired effects from the first use
- Regardless of the health and safety risks, the individual continues to drink
- Withdrawal symptoms occur when alcohol isn’t consumed, such as sweating, increased heart rate, hallucinations, seizures, and shaking
- Changes in mood, such as sadness, panic, or rage
What Is the Link Between Alcohol Abuse and Depression?
Alcohol is commonly used to self-medicate or deal with painful feelings. Alcohol is a depressant, which adversely affects those dealing with depression and makes their condition worse. There have been countless studies linking alcohol abuse to depression. Those displaying depression symptoms are more likely to develop an addiction to alcohol. Binge drinking large amounts of alcohol in a short amount of time often leads to depression. More evidence continues to show that when depression goes undiagnosed, alcohol abuse is more common, and that those with an alcohol dependency are more likely to develop depression.
Free by the Sea is a beautiful campus, located on the Long Beach Peninsula in Ocean Park, WA. Our community of dedicated professionals are committed to provide care to all individuals with dignity and respect. Client centered care respectful of individual needs and concerns is the foundation of our approach. We adhere to evidence-based practices which are focused on successful outcomes for long term recovery. Services provided include:
- 77 treatment beds.
- Masters level addiction counselors.
- High quality evidence-based addiction treatment, including gambling.
- DBT, CBT, EMDR and trauma informed treatment addresses underlying issues of addiction that include depression, anxiety, self-esteem and relationships.
- Relapse Prevention, Life Skills, Addiction education provided in groups and individual sessions
- Twelve step meetings include celebrate recovery, wellbriety, dual disorder and AA/NA/GA
- We offer residential, partial hospitalization, and intensive outpatient levels of care.
- Peaceful and safe setting located on five acres facing the Pacific Ocean.
- Multi-sport areas that include volleyball/basketball courts and an exercise room.
- Nutritionally designed meals to restore health
Why Wait? Call Us Today.
Stop the cycle between depression and alcohol abuse now so that you or your loved one can enjoy a healthy and happy life. Free by the Sea has recovery counselors trained to help those in Alaska dealing with depression. Contact us to speak with a counselor today and find out more information.
Contact Free by the Sea
Rehabilitation services give you the best chance at success and getting off the destructive path you are on. If you or a loved one suffer from depression, alcohol addiction, or both, don’t wait any longer. Make the change by contacting us at Free by the Sea today.